Joyce Leary Clark
Joyce grew up on a small dairy farm in Saco, and graduated from Thornton Academy. She received a bachelor's degree in History from Harvard University and her JD from the University of Maine School of Law. She practiced in Scarborough from 1990 - 2015, when she joined Prescott Jamieson Murphy Law Group.
Joyce is also one of two Maine attorneys who represents clients through a partnership with UpRight Law, LLC, and takes reduced-fee cases through the CLC legal access benefit plan. Over the years, she has represented many clients at no charge through the Volunteer Lawyers Project.
Professional Service & Community Involvement
- Former Member, Saco Zoning Board of Appeals
- Former Board Member & Secretary, Saco Valley Land Trust
- Former Room Parent, St. Brigid School
- Former Popcorn Kernel, Cub Scout Pack 97
- Awarded Katahdin Counsel status 2013 (more than 50 hours of pro bono service in 1 year)
- Volunteer Interviewer for Harvard Club in Maine since early 1990s
- Member Scarborough Kiwanis Club since 1997
- Secretary 5 terms, President 2003-04, 2015-16
- Volunteer Presenter for CARE program (Credit Abuse Resistance Education)
- Member, MASH (Maine Attorneys Saving Homes)
- Member, Maine State Bar Association Sections:
- Women Lawyers
- Bankruptcy & Reorganization
- Trusts & Estates
- Consumer & Financial Institutions
Bankruptcy: Chapters 7 & 13
There are many myths about filing for bankruptcy protection. Get accurate information from an attorney with over 25 years practicing in Maine. Joyce Leary Clark offers a free, one-hour initial consultation.
During your initial meeting, Joyce will give you an overview of the bankruptcy process, including the different chapters available, and let you know if filing makes sense for you. She will also answer your questions regarding property and debts – What property are you entitled to keep? What debts can be discharged?
We pride ourselves on offering professional services at a fair price. In most cases, we will meet or beat the price of any local practitioner.
It is wise to review your estate plan periodically. We prepare wills, trusts, advance health care directives (living wills), and durable financial powers of attorney.
Before our meeting, it is helpful to gather some basic information, including the names and addresses of your beneficiaries, your assets and liabilities, and contact information for your personal representative (executor) or agent.
We assist people with the probate process, including guardianships and conservatorships and probating estates.
Our probate information worksheet (for probating the estate of someone who has recently died) is available for download below.
We assist people who are buying or selling land and buildings in southern Maine. We can help in a variety of situations, including:
- Review of a purchase and sale agreement
- Deed Preparation
- Preparation of a purchase and sale agreement with the appropriate real estate disclosures
Incorporation/Small Business Representation
Joyce has incorporated numerous small businesses, including for-profits and non-profits, and can also serve as corporate clerk or registered agent. She is included in the State of Maine's listing of Commercial Clerks and Commercial Registered Agents.
Timothy S. Murphy
Tim maintains a quiet municipal and corporate practice in his hometown of Saco, Maine, except for those times when he’s home helping his wife Karen raise their two daughters. He reads actual books, has no smart phone, has never texted or tweeted, and eschews social media of all kinds. He attends both Catholic and Episcopal Church services. Tim walks into his office each day with one goal: bring a measure of peace to this world.
- University of Chicago, BA with Special Honors, 1982
- University of Notre Dame, JD, 1988
- State of Maine - 1988
- U. S. District Court - 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals - 1992
- United States Supreme Court - 1996
- City of Saco, Maine - Counsel since 1994
- Town of Sebago, Maine - Counsel since 2016
- City of Biddeford; Towns of Old Orchard Beach and Dayton - Counsel in conflict matters
- Town of Lyman - Charter Commission Counsel
- 85 small companies based in Maine as Corporate Counsel